Name: The Big Rainbow Knit
The Big Rainbow Knit
Calling all knitters and crocheters! The Kirkwood are delighted to be joining forces with WOVEN in Kirklees for their Big Rainbow Knit 2021 and asking our army of crafters to join us in supporting the event! It doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or an expert as every single stich counts.
This June, WOVEN in Kirklees are going bigger than ever for their biannual Big Knit and are yarn bombing one of our community's most iconic landmarks - Huddersfield Railway Station!
From Saturday 5th June until Sunday 27th June 2021, the six grand pillars of Huddersfield Railway Station will be covered in big, bright knitted rainbows and we want you to get involved! All you have to do is knit or crochet squares to contribute to the rainbows and you can support The Kirkwood at the same time by asking for sponsorship.
We may not be able to get together in person to share our love of knit, crochet and all things crafty, but we you can get involved from the comfort of your home, from anywhere in the world and taking part is easy, just follow the simple steps below:
- Register FREE by using the sign up button below (this takes you to our special Eventbrite page where you register your details).
- Plan your fundraising. The easiest way is to use our dedicated JustGiving page where you find all the information you need. Just visit our page at: www.justgiving.com/campaign/bigknit and click on ‘Start fundraising’. This will allow you to set up your own fundraising page to share with friends, family and colleagues. We can also post out a paper sponsor form too if required, please call us on: 01484 557 911
- Start knitting or crocheting! WOVEN need over 2500 individual squares to make their rainbows! You could challenge yourself to make as many squares as you can each month leading up to the deadline of Saturday 1st May, or perhaps you are a complete beginner and could challenge yourself to make your first square.
There is no minimum sponsorship amount, we are grateful to all our amazing supporters who get involved. We do have a special gift for anyone who raises over £100 as they will receive a limited edition commemorative mug. The fundraiser who raise the most in sponsorship will receive a luxury knitting hamper!
This is a great way to get everyone involved at home. So whether you are an experienced wool crafter or simply looking to start a new hobby, why not join your community and get involved!
To sign up, simply click the button below!
Need help getting started?
The squares need to be a 15cm x 15cm Garter Stitch square - knitted, woven, crocheted and felted squares will all be included.
Your yarn must be one of the rainbow colours - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo or violet. You may use different shades of the same colours to create patterns and textures or try different stitch techniques to add variety. You can find a guide available to download at the bottom of this page.
- You will need 4mm needles and a double knit yarn
- Cast on 33sts
- Knit every row until the knitting measures 15cm then cast off
- For more instructions or tips, visiting the Woven in Kirklees website by clicking here.
For more information, please get in touch with our friendly Fundraising Team on: 01484 557 911 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Need clinical advice?
Call our advice line on:
24 hrs a day