Kirkwood Palliative Care Toolkit
Management of common palliative care symptoms during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We have created the Kirkwood Toolkit for use by our colleagues managing patients with life limiting illness. Included are guidelines relating to general issues related to care in life limiting illness, but we have also produced bespoke guidance specifically for COVID-19, including advice if supplies of standard medication are limited, and specific guidance on management of intractable symptoms related to COVID-19 exposure. Particular guidance on future care planning / advance planning at this time is also provided.
You will find links to download these as PDF documents at the bottom of this page.
Some of the treatments suggested are licensed medications being used for unlicensed indications. This information is provided in good faith based on the available evidence, but the responsibility ultimately lies with the prescriber.
Thank you for your continued support with patient care. We continue to maintain all hospice services, though some have to operate in different ways, so please continue to refer to the community team and use the advice line (Tel: 01484 557910).
We can connect with patients and carers through AccuRx and can provide remote team working through Microsoft Teams. Please let us know if we can help in other ways.
We hope this will be an evolving toolkit dependent on identified needs and if you have any specific requests or feedback please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this toolkit has been devised in response to urgent community need and content is a guide only. Professionals remain responsible for their own clinical advice and decision making.
Advance planning and escalation
- Advance Care Planning during COVID-19
- Advance Care Planning during COVID-19: Conversation tips
- Frailty scoring and escalation of treatment
- COVID-19: Fever management in palliative care
- Early management of secretions
- Early management of intractable breathlessness
- Early management of delirium and agitation in palliative care
- End of life management of secretions
- End of life management of breathlessness and cough
- End of life management of delirium and agitation
- COVID-19: Care of the dying patient when ABLE to obtain a syringe driver
- COVID-19: Care of the dying patient when UNABLE to obtain a syringe driver - injectable alternatives
- COVID-19: Care of the dying patient when UNABLE to obtain a syringe driver - non-injectable alternatives
- Management of dry eyes and dry mouth at the end of life
- Guidance on anticipatory medication
- Alternatives to Common Palliative Care Drugs - Strong Opioids
- Alternatives to Common Palliative Care Drugs - Strong Opioids via syringe driver
- Opioid conversion chart
- Prescribing oxygen for community patients during the COVID-19 pandemic
Sources of information
Need clinical advice?
Call our advice line on:
24 hrs a day